Remember a few weeks back during my guest post HERE about my deep dark secrets I knew about Martha Stewart’s beauty routine? Well the day has come for me to SHARE THOSE SECRETS!!
Here’s the deal, listen carefully….
Each Wednesday for the next five weeks, I will be posting one of Martha Stewart’s Beauty Secrets!!!
I’m kicking this off with one of her best secrets, and it’s something easy that everyone can do! Ready?
One of Martha Stewart’s Beauty Secrets is to drink lemon water in the morning. Take half or quarter of a lemon, and squeeze it into a cold class of water. I prefer icy cold water in the morning because it also helps to keep me awake! She talks about this secret in her upcoming book that comes out this June (I helped design a few pages of the book during my internship there in NYC this summer!) so that’s how I know this little secret. Drinking lemon water in the morning is such an easy thing to do! And it has some MAJOR health benefits! Check out these 10 reasons why lemon water is so good for you, especially in the morning (found HERE):
1. Boosts your immune system: Lemons are high in vitamin C, which is great for fighting colds. They’re high in potassium, which stimulates brain and nerve function. Potassium also helps control blood pressure.
2. Balances pH: Drink lemon water everyday and you’ll reduce your body’s overall acidity. Lemon is one of the most alkaline foods around. Yes, lemon has citric acid but it does not create acidity in the body once metabolized.
3. Helps with weight loss: Lemons are high in pectin fiber, which helps fight hunger cravings. It also has been shown that people who maintain a more alkaline diet (see #2) lose weight faster.
4. Aids digestion: Lemon juice helps flush out unwanted materials. It encourages the liver to produce bile which is an acid that required for digestion. Efficient digestion reduces heartburn and constipation.
5. Is a diuretic: Lemons increase the rate of urination in the body, which helps purify it. Toxins are, therefore, released at a faster rate which helps keep your urinary tract healthy.
6. Clears skin: The vitamin C component helps decrease wrinkles and blemishes. Lemon water purges toxins from the blood which helps keep skin clear as well. It can actually be applied directly to scars to help reduce their appearance.
7. Freshens breath: Not only this, but it can help relieve tooth pain and gingivitis. The citric acid can erode tooth enamel, so you should monitor this. I admit, I’m slightly worried about it.
8. Relieves respiratory problems: Warm lemon water helps get rid of chest infections and halt those pesky coughs. It’s thought to be helpful to people with asthma and allergies too.
9. Keeps you zen: Vitamin C is one of the first things depleted when you subject your mind and body to stress. As mentioned previously, lemons are chock full of vitamin C.
10. Helps kick the coffee habit: After I have a glass of hot lemon water, I actually don’t crave coffee in the morning. This is weird, I can’t explain it, but I’ll take it. ***I don’t have a problem with this, but I’m sure there are people out there who do.***
There you have it! One of Martha Stewart’s Beauty Secrets! Check back next Wednesday for the next secret!!